This video shows how to stretch your hips and strengthen abdominal muscles in one simple exercise. This exercise helps to become aware of how moving your legs affects posture of pelvis, spine and trunk.
This exercise is an effective way to:
- Improve hip flexibility
- Improve strength of abdominal muscles
- Improve body awareness
- Improve ability to stabilize pelvis and spine while moving legs
- Explore balance between stability and flexibility of lumbar-pelvic region
- Start lying down on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the ground
- Maintain neutral position of the spine and lift your legs up
- Cross one leg over the other with ankle to knee
- Press both legs against each other by pulling towards and pushing away from the body center
- Hold for a couple of seconds and change legs
- Repeat 10 times
- Pay attention to your body alignment; maintain neutral position of spine, pelvis, ribcage, and head. Notice the difference between the right and left side of your body, try to position them evenly and copy each other.
- This is not a medical advice and should not be used that way. This video was created to demonstrate exercise technique and not as your personal exercise prescription. If you experience any pain or uncomfortable symptoms, stop immediately and contact your healthcare professional.