This video shows how to release sciatic nerve tension in the leg, mobilize and actively stretch hamstrings and calves. This can help relieve lower back pain and tension.
This exercise is an effective way to:
- Release sciatic tension down the leg
- Stretch hamstrings and calves
- Mobilize hips and ankles
- Help relieve low back pain and tension
- Improve flexibility
- Improve comfort when walking, standing and sitting
- Start lying down on your back with knees bent and feet on the ground
- Lift one leg up with knee straight and foot pointed up until a gentle stretch is felt
- Then bend this leg by flexing your knee and ankle, keep the toe pulled towards the shin
- Repeat in continuous motion.
- Pay attention to your body alignment; maintain neutral position of spine, pelvis, ribcage, and head.
- Stretch only until a gentle stretch is felt and don’t over-stretch to prevent irritating the sciatic nerve.
- This is not a medical advice and should not be used that way. This video was created to demonstrate exercise technique and not as your personal exercise prescription. If you experience any pain or uncomfortable symptoms, stop immediately and contact your healthcare professional.